Following a diagnosis of vision impairment, the beginning of your journey can be filled with many questions. We understand that assessing your vision needs and navigating through funding plans, therapy and specialist services can be a challenging process. We’re here to assist you with your questions and concerns to make this a seamless process for you.
We’ve outlined common questions that are commonly asked by people living with low vision or blindness.
What services do you offer?
- Our comprehensive therapy and specialist services are delivered in your home, at school, at work and in the community.
- We offer a range of services for young children, school-aged children, adults and seniors.
- We offer a range of vision-specific therapeutic interventions.
- We assist with social engagement via group activities at Perron Place (link opens in new window).
Who can I speak to find out more about your services?
You can call our Client Experience Team:
- Phone us on 1800 847 466 Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm.
How do I apply for services?
Where do you provide services?
VisAbility provides direct face to face services for people with low or no vision, within the Perth Metropolitan area. We also have office locations in Mandurah and Peel Region, Bunbury and Albany and are able to provide regular direct therapy services. If you’re not located within these areas, you are welcome to access services through your closest office or via video consultation.
What do I need to apply for services?
- Copy of a recent eye report
- Any documentation relating to your funding.
Can someone else apply for services on my behalf?
Yes, if you have granted permission for them to do so. We will still be in contact with you to discuss options. Apply for low vision services.
What happens after I apply for services?
A member of our team will get in touch with you to determine the most appropriate services and assist you to access them. This is different for everyone, but could include:
- A low vision assessment by our Orthoptics Team.
- Occupational therapy assessment to help make everyday tasks and activities easier.
- Orientation and Mobility assessment to help you get around safely and effectively.
- Assistive technology to help you keep in touch with friends and family or help you to get around
When will I hear back from VisAbility after I apply for services?
We will try to get in touch with you within two business days.
What funding can I receive?
Our staff will speak with you about funding options available for you.
- We are a contracted service provider for the WA State Government’s Disability Services
- We’re a registered provider for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Services can also be purchased privately for a fee
- We facilitate access to Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA) and My Aged Care (MAC)
- Other funding options are available.
Am I eligible for funding?
- Our team will discuss eligibility criteria with you to determine which funding is available to you.
- We can support you with the information required in your funding applications.
I have received services from VisAbility before, do I have to reapply?
- Depending on your last interaction with your funding source, you may or may not need to reapply.
- One of our team members will discuss this with you.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.