Occupational therapists provide support and training in everyday occupations ranging from household management to personal care.
Our occupational therapists can provide you with daily living aids and training, as well as alternative ways to complete everyday activities while living with low vision and blindness.
We also provide support to carers and support workers on how to support a person living with low or no vision.
Occupational therapists can help enable you to perform daily tasks, including:
- Taking care of yourself, for example, dressing and personal hygiene
- Managing household tasks such as cooking and cleaning
- Using technology for work or play
- Being out in the community
For children, through this service your child can:
- Receive advice about toys, activities and games suitable for your child
- Learn skills to improve their independence such as dressing, tying their shoelaces, and eating skills
- Develop fine motor skills for activities such as handwriting, typing
- Improve their self-regulation and social skills
- Get adaptations to your child’s environment in home, school or childcare
- Receive specialised equipment (mealtime equipment, bathing equipment) to assist in access, participation and safety
For adults, through this service you can:
- Receive support and training in daily living skills
- Have your home environment and workplace assessed
- Receive advice, training and support on assistive technology equipment and aids
- View demonstrations on a range of daily living aids and appliances (including large print and talking equipment)
- Attend groups to learn independence skills
VisAbility’s occupational therapists are registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia.
We provide a number of group programs run by Occupational Therapists including:
- Living Well
- Look Good, Feel Confident
- Dining Skills
To find out more about Occupational Therapy, get in touch with us today.