Orientation and mobility (also known as O&M) specialists support people living with low or no vision to move through your environment safely and effectively. Through orientation and mobility training, you can work out where you are, where you’re going and how to get there.
Orientation and Mobility specialists are university-trained, specifically to work with people with vision impairment. For adults, this can include regular route training and how to safely travel to and from work. For young children, this can be learning body concepts and that rooms and spaces have functions.
This service is provided one-on-one in your home, school, workplace and out in the community.
Orientation and mobility can support you to:
- Move confidently through environments
- Make best use of any remaining vision and help you use other senses to find your way.
- Find the safest travel routes to specific destinations such as in the home, school shops, work, the doctor, gym, or university.
- Cross the road safely and independently.
- Travel on public buses and trains.
- Use the most appropriate mobility aid to meet your needs, from a cane through to a Guide Dog or electronic travel aids and devices.
- Develop skills for self-orientation, including echolocation.
- Receive help and support to remain part of your community.
Practical training tessions
Night Orientation and Mobility
A six-week, group training session to help understand and overcome the challenges and barriers to travelling at dusk and night time. Learn more about our Night Orientation and Mobility sessions and register your interest to attend.
Our Orientation and Mobility Specialists are accredited with the Orientation and Mobility Association of Australasia (link opens in new window).
How to get support
Please complete the form below to make an initial enquiry about the low vision services and support we can provide. Our Client Experience Team will contact you to discuss your individual needs both now and into the future.
If you are a provider and wish to refer a client, please use our low vision medical certificate (online referral form) to make your referral.