Vision motivates movement. A child learns to roll, pull to stand, crawl and walk, as they’re motivated to experience their environment – whether that’s moving towards a toy of interest, mum or dad. Children living with low or no vision require support to learn these important early movement skills.
Our physiotherapists use strategies to support children to learn to move safely and independently. They’ll work with you to develop functional movement skills, such as how to get around safely and independently and general physical abilities.
Our physiotherapists are skilled in adapting movement-based activities for children and adults with a vision impairment to improve their physical skills.
For children, physiotherapy can help your child to:
- Enjoy moving and playing
- Learn early movement skills such as sitting, crawling and walking
- Develop higher level movement skills such as jumping and running
- Increase performance and participation in sporting activities
- Prescribing standing and walking aids
- Prescribing specialised postural and seating systems such as wheelchairs, alongside occupational therapists
For adults, we can help:
- Improve strength and balance along with our Exercise Physiology team.
- Develop coordination and fitness for recreation and sport.
- Use equipment to support independent movement, such as a white cane or walker.
- Manage musculoskeletal complications related to vision impairment, such as poor posture from reading too close to a screen or book.
Read more about how Max benefitted from physiotherapy for children with low vision.
VisAbility’s physiotherapists are registered with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia (link opens in new window).
How to get support
If you have a diagnosis of vision impairment, please contact our friendly team using the form below to find out what low vision services and support we can provide to you both now and into the future.
There are also a number of low vision support groups within Perth and across the state, which can connect you with like-minded people to build friendships and offer support.
If you are a provider and wish to refer a client, please use our low vision medical certificate (online referral form) to make your referral.