This hands-on, practical course will show you how to create accessible EPUB documents with MS Word and will:
- Outline the background to web accessibility standards and EPUB files and their continued importance.
- Demonstrate how to create accessible EPUB3 documents using Microsoft Word, that can be easily understood by people living with vision impairment.
- Our Digital Accesibility Consultant trainer will talk you through the tools to use for each process and provide a step-by-step handbook for reference, post-course.
- Background to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and 2.1 (link opens in new window) and EPUB3.
- Australian Government policy/procurement
- Understand how people with vision impairment engage with printed documentation.
- Screenreader demonstration on inaccessible vs accessible documents to understand how screenreading and other assistive technology works.
- Learn how to use Microsoft’s inbuilt accessibility and template tools in Windows and Office suite.
- Discover free third party online tools that assess existing document accessibility and offer practical advice and processes for fixing them.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating EPUB documents.
- Correct text/background colour contrast
- Template structure and headings
- Font sizes and paragraph styling
- Using layout objects (lists, columns, text boxes etc)
- Image labelling
- Managing lists
- Using hyperlinks
- Converting Word to EPUB3
- Quick wins and handy tips
Who is this course for?
- Individuals and organisations with staff or customers living with vision impairment.
- Individuals and organisations that produce printed information for the public.
This course is suitable for people with an intermediate level of competence with Microsoft Word.
Course material includes:
- Step-by-step handbook to creating accessibility within Word documents.
- Tips and tricks to implement accessibility and speed up the editing process.
Workshops are held at VisAbility in Victoria Park. Please contact us for further information on running the workshop at your own premises.
Contact us for a quote.
2023/24 workshop dates:
- Thursday 30 November 2023
- Thursday 21 March 2024
- Thursday 30 May 2024
- Participants to bring a laptop or tablet with MS Word installed.
- (Onsite) Room set up in classroom format
- (Onsite) Data projector and screen
- Access for all
- How to create accessible Word documents
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
- Mailchimp accessibility made easy
- Create accessible PowerPoint presentations
- Run accessible meetings in MS Teams
- How to make accessible reflowable EPUBs in Adobe InDesign
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe InDesign
- How to write Easy English
- How to make social media accessible
- Braille classes
How to book training:
Please complete the form below and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirements further.