This hands-on, practical course will teach you how to write Easy English and will:
- Provide background to some of the standards and guidelines for making information understandable for the widest possible audience.
- Demonstrate how to write Easy English documents using Microsoft Word, that can be easily understood by people with lower literacy levels.
- Our Accessibility Trainer will talk you through best-practice principles and provide a step-by-step handbook for reference, post-course.
- Learn about literacy levels and the impact on understanding written materials.
- Understand the differences between Plain language, Easy Read, and Easy English; and when each is required.
- Discover additional resources to help write Easy English documents.
- Making your Easy English document accessible for people living with vision impairment.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating Easy English documents.
- Composition of text using simple grammar and familiar vocabulary
- Font and paragraph styling
- Document layout and formatting
- Creating and formatting images
- Document accessibility
Who is this course for?
- Individuals and organisations with staff or customers living with print disability, especially intellectual disability, or people from a culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) background.
- Individuals and organisations that produce printed information for the public.
This course is suitable for people with an intermediate level of competence with Microsoft Word.
Course material includes:
Step-by-step handbook for creating Easy English text and images.
Workshops are held at VisAbility in Victoria Park or can be arranged onsite at your own premises, for up to 20 participants.
Cost (face to face):
Group (2+): $1,000
Individual: $250 per person
Group (2+): $700
Individual: $175 per person
2022 workshop dates:
- Thursday 5 May 2022
- Thursday 16 June 2022
- Participants to bring a laptop or tablet with MS Word installed
- (Onsite) Room set up in classroom format
- (Onsite) Data projector and screen
- Access for all
- How to create accessible Word documents
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
- Mailchimp accessibility made easy
- How to make accessible EPUB documents in Word
- How to make accessible reflowable EPUBs in Adobe InDesign
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe InDesign
- How to write Easy English
- How to make social media accessible
- Braille classes
How to book training:
Please complete the form below and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirements further.