A six-week, hands-on, practical, group course to teach you the skills to help you get around safely and confidently at night or in low light times, eg. at dusk or dawn. This could be due to night blindness and/or feeling anxious or unconfident in your surroundings. Participants are recommended to attend all sessions.
These sessions will be delivered by an Orientation & Mobility Specialist in a small group, of up to six people.
The course will:
- Explore the environmental and psychological challenges associated with travelling in low light
- Show you how to build your orientation skills so you know where you are in your environment
- Learn about different types of road crossings
- Teach you night time long cane skills
- Help you expand your non-visual skills (eg. how to use sound, touch etc)
- Show you how to use public transport at night time
- Offer safety tips and advice
Who is this course for?
These sessions are designed for people living with blindness and low vision who do not go out at night time or who do go out occasionally, but find travelling at night time harder.
In order to join these sessions, participants must have had O&M assessment and training in the past and be able to complete two routes independently during day time.
How to join the Night Orientation & Mobility course
Places are strictly limited. Please click the button below to register for the course or talk to us about getting the right training in order to join the course.
Night O&M Course details
Dates: Tuesday evenings, 1 August – 5 September 2023
Time: 5.30pm – 8.00pm
Duration: Weekly, for six weeks (Total 18 hours)
Where: VisAbility, 61 Kitchener Avenue, Victoria Park
These sessions will be charged under NDIS, MAC (HCP/CHSP), DVA or fee for service funding.
View our other Adult Group Programs